Welcome to Monroe!
Multilingual and Multicultural
Monroe is a happy, multilingual and multicultural K-5 school offering three academically aligned language programs. Monroe is flourishing with the help of talented teachers and staff, energized parent groups, special grants and school beautification projects.
Monroe’s school population mirrors that of San Francisco’s and we celebrate the diverse qualities that make up our school’s unique character. We are a community of language learners. Our three language strands weave together to create a rich tapestry of home cultures and languages where all students excel in high academic standards in Spanish Immersion, Chinese Bilingual or General Education English Instruction.
Monroe believes every person on campus is an educator, from each student, to each staff member, to the families that participate in our community. Our staff and administration collaborate closely to ensure true engagement and shared leadership from all cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
Every student is becoming a life long learner in an environment that nurtures students’ high academic achievement and love of learning. Classrooms are dynamic places where each child is challenged to reach her/his highest potential. Both teachers and students set academic and personal goals that are measurable and attainable. We are focused on equity and social justice, which allows us to give everyone the different resources they need for equality of outcomes.
Students at Monroe become critical thinkers, life long learners and citizens of the world. They are compassionate toward others, environmentally conscious, linguistically diverse, socially responsible and academically prepared to be our future’s leaders.
At Monroe, we are proud of our three academic programs:
- English Plus Pathway: This strand is designed for both native English speakers and English learners to achieve state standards proficiency.
- Spanish / English Dual Language Immersion: Aims for bilingualism and biliteracy in both Spanish and English.
- Cantonese / English Biliteracy: Focuses on enabling students from Cantonese-speaking households to excel in academic English while preserving their home language.
ELAC – English Learner Advisory Committee
The English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) advises the principal and school staff on programs and services for English learners and the SSC on the development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement. The ELAC also assists in the school’s needs assessment, annual language census (R-30 LC Report), and efforts to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
Arts and Enrichment
Monroe values the importance of an academic and well-rounded education. In addition to a rigorous curriculum, children are given many additional arts and enrichment opportunities, including:
- Visual Arts teacher for all grades
- Dance for K-3
- World Dance for 4-5
- Instrumental Music for 4-5
- Weekly classes with Physical Education specialists
- Garden teacher for all grades
- Tri-lingual school library visits
- Hands-on science exploration in our 1600-sq-ft garden
- 2 Field Trips to Mission Science Center’s Excelsior Workshop for each class
- Annual Mural Project with Create Peace Project
For any additional queries or information, feel free to reach out.