What is the SSC?
The School Site Council (SSC) is the elected body of staff and parents who make important decisions about the school. It is composed of at least 10 parents/community members and staff, including mandatory representation from each of the three program strands (general education, Spanish immersion, and Chinese bilingual). Ideally the committee includes representation across all grade levels and from the range of socioeconomic and ethnic groups comprising the student body.
The SSC is charged with monitoring the progress of the school.
It’s objectives include:
- Study and develop the school site plan (Balanced Scorecard) in relation to our students’ educational needs.
- Make decisions regarding the school’s planning, budgeting, implementation, and evaluation of the Balanced Scorecard.
- Maintain a basic understanding of state and district policies that affect SSCs and other school programs.
- Emphasize the parent’s role as the child’s first teacher, and provide opportunities for all parents to help develop their children’s intellectual, social, and physical abilities.
Meetings and Elections:
- Meetings are generally the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5:30pm and are announced in advance. They are open to the school community.
- Dinner and Spanish, English and Chinese translation provided.
- Meeting minutes will be posted on the Yahoo Group and on the school’s website.
- Members serve for 2 years maximum.
- Elections for half of the members, as well as alternates to sit in for absent members, are held each October.
- Please feel free to nominate yourself! (Nomination forms went home in Wed’s blue folder.)
Learn more about the purpose of the SSC here.