Monroe is proud of its three Academic Programs:
- English Plus Pathway The English language strand uses English as the sole language of instruction for both English native language speakers and English learners to achieve proficiency on the state standards.
- Spanish / English Dual Language Immersion Pathway The Immersion strands’ goals are bilingualism and biliteracy in Spanish and English for students from different language backgrounds while achieving proficiency on state standards.
- Cantonese / English Biliteracy Pathway The goal is for children from Cantonese speaking households to learn high levels of academic English for the core subjects, while maintaining and enriching their home language of Cantonese.
For more information on English Learner Pathways and English Language Development from SFUSD, click here.
Or, contact a Monroe parent who has experience with the program:
ENGLISH Plus Pathway
Erin Savage p: 533-9958 e: firstname.lastname@example.org (English)
Zulaika Perez p: 672-4278 (English)
SPANISH/ENGLISH Dual Language Immersion Pathway
Maria Mendoza p: 841-0923 (Spanish)
Paula Silva p: 990-7287 e: email@example.com (Spanish, English)
CANTONESE / ENGLISH Biliteracy Pathway
Xiaoxia Cathy Lan p: 469-5991 (Chinese, English) e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Min Ling Huang p: 314-6366 (Chinese)
Bonnie Law p: 706-9245 (Chinese, English) e: email@example.com
ARTS AND ENRICHMENT
Monroe values the importance of an academic and well-rounded education. In addition to a rigorous curriculum, children are given many additional arts and enrichment opportunities, including:
- Drama, Dance, Music, Visual Arts
- Students receive two of the four strands for 16-week cycles.
- Students receive all four strands over the course of two academic years.
- All students participate in a yearly performance.
- All disciplines have an emphasis on world culture.
- We have had specific types of dance such as Baile Folklorico or Chinese dance, as well as hip hop, in years past.
- We have had specific types of music such as Chinese and Brazilian drumming in years past.
- Students also have their art displayed around the school in the cafeteria and the library.
- Instrumental music for 4th and 5th grade students
- Computer Lab visits twice a month
- PE 100 minutes per week: once per week with teacher and once per week with PE specialist
- Tri-lingual school library visits weekly and/or bi-weekly
- 1600-sq-ft garden that teachers can incorporate into their academic and science program and an outdoor classroom made of recycled and natural materials for hands-on science exploration